Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Theo's Chocolate Factory.

A couple days ago I had the opportunity to visit a REAL LIFE CHOCOLATE FACTORY! I was so excited and this chocolate company, Theo's, happens to be my favorite chocolate.  They have a million different unique flavors that are constantly changing.  While visiting the factory I was able to learn all about their sustainable practices and take an inside look at how cocoa beans are processed and turned into CHOCOLATE! :)

Theo's Chocolate was the first chocolate company ever to be certified organic and fair trade.  What an amazing accomplishment, and it started right here in Seattle!  I encourage everyone to get on their website and see what they are all about.


Theo's purchases their cocoa beans from Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, and the Dominican Republic. I was thrilled when I found out that they did not purchase their beans from the Ivory Coast like every other chocolate company in the world.  Watch this documentary and you will see why. 


Eco-friendly roasting machine above.


These machines crush the fermented cocoa beans into a paste and from paste into liquid.  The ingredients are added next.  Organic cane sugar and local organic milk.  This room is kept at an average heat of 95 degrees Farenheit!


I was also able to tour the kitchen, the best part!  This chocolatier was creating a ganache.  The process he is working on is called tempering.  It is a constant spreading and gathering of the chocolate.


This was my favorite chocolate confection!  Salted carmel smore covered in chocolate.


Nibs!!  These are roasted cocoa beans that have yet to be processed.  You can bake with them or sprinkle them on top of yogurt etc.  They are crunchy like a nut or seed and absolutely delicious!

What a wonderful experience it was to tour Theo's Chocolate!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that chocolate bite looks incredible. B and I have to make it up there!

    ReplyDelete