Friday, May 18, 2012

DIY Designer Floral Arrangement.

This project was inspired mainly by all of the beautiful floral prints floating down the runway.  (Annnnd partly because every time I see those beautiful bouquets of fresh flowers at Pike's Place Market my heart breaks at the price!)

I wanted to see if I could create a floral arrangement that replicated the prints seen on the runway.  Some of the looks that inspired my project were from Dolce & Gabbana Spring/Summer 2012, here, and here, and Valentino Spring/Summer 2012here, and here

I went to Metropolitan Market, one of my favorite local markets, to pick out some fresh flowers.
This is when I ran into my first problem:  too many choices!




I finally settled on pink peonies, light blue and white hydrangeas, and this adorable, sunny yellow, flower that I have no clue what its name is!  If anyone knows, feel free to fill me in.


Here are some steps that I took in creating a designer inspired floral arrangement. 
You will need:  
1.  Flowers (water)
2.  Scissors
3.  A glass jar or vase (I used an old sauce jar)
4.  Tissue paper
5.  A rubberband or ribbon



Step 1:  Make sure you cut your stems to appropriate lengths.  Depending on the position or the flower the stems may need to be different lengths.


Step 2:  Begin arranging your flowers.  I had no specific plan - I just began putting pieces where I felt they needed to be.  I noticed that crisscrossing the flowers and inserting them at a diagonal angle helped to keep them in place.


Step 3:  Once the flowers are set in the postion that looks good to you (I enjoy a not so perfected look) take four pieces of tissue paper and lay them down crisscross two by two.


Step 4:  Pull the tissue paper up to the top of the mason jar and tie with a rubber band.  I crinkled my tissue at the top to give some character and trimmed some corners as well.  This gives the flowers a "fresh picked" flower look and hides the stems and dingy water.


**The finished product!  I am very happy about the way it turned out and I feel that it emulates the looks I have seen on the runways very clearly.  The best part of the project?  It fills my entire apartment with a beautiful smell!!



*Adapted from this video.
...







No comments:

Post a Comment